Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 14 year old yorkie has developed itching bumpy skin with

My 14 year old yorkie has developed itching bumpy skin with large brown patches .
Although it doesn't seem to bother him too much which is the best thing to treat him with to cure this skin problem
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to assist you and Barney. Itchy bumpy skin could be due to several causes: an hormonal imbalance, a bacterial skin infection, a yeast skin infection, allergies, or mange. The treatment would definitely depend upon the cause. Barney needs to have your vet there diagnose the cause, so that he could be specifically treated.

Dr. Barbara :

Until you can get him to a vet, you could give him some benadryl which would likely help with allergies and would be safe. The dose is 1mg/pound (or 2.2 mg/ kg) every 8 hours.

Hi Timothy,
Just checking in to see how Barney is doing and if you've been able to get a diagnosis.
I hope all is OK and to hear back from you soon.
Dr. Barbara