Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a male neutered tom cat, aged 8 years, we live in the

Customer Question

I have a male neutered tom cat, aged 8 years, we live in the countryside and I know he eats rabbits and mice and voles. He appears in good health eating and behaving normally but has a very distended stomach. I worm him with frontal every 3 months, could this be worms?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll do my best to be of assistance. Since Jasper is a hunter, he could be more prone to getting tapeworms. If by "frontal" you mean Drontal, then he is being dewormed of tapeworms every three months. However, there are other parasites that would not be susceptible to Drontal, so his big belly could be from worms.

Dr. Barbara :

Big bellies could also indicate that a cat is overweight, but it also could indicate that there is fluid accumulation in his abdomen which would indicate a systemic disease and not just parasites.

Dr. Barbara :

The best for Jasper would be to have your vet there examine him and possibly do a fecal test to check for intestinal parasites. An examination may also lead your vet to further diagnostics depending upon what is found.

Customer: He's not over weight, usually very sleek, just a big belly over last few days
Customer: Sorry typo, I did mean drontal but the program altered it
Customer: Which other parasites might be a problem? He is also regularly deflead
Dr. Barbara :

Thank you for your response. I'm really glad that Jasper does feel well, but from your description I am concerned about ascites (or fluid accumulation in his abdomen) which could come from several different disease problems.

Customer: How urgent is it that we see our vet, he is off sick with a locus covering so difficult to get an appointment,
Dr. Barbara :

Fleas also do carry tapeworms, so he is on a great regimen for tapes. Other parasites include round worms, whip worms, hook worms, and coccidia. . .these are the most common but can vary depending upon your location.

Customer: There has been no vomiting or unusual behaviour
Customer: We're in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
Dr. Barbara :

Sorry to hear that your vet is ill. Since Jasper is feeling fine, then there really isn't an urgency to see another vet.

Dr. Barbara :

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know. . .I'm in California, but even here the parasites vary from region to region.

Dr. Barbara :

Your vet will know though for your region.

Dr. Barbara :

If Jasper does use a litter box, you could collect a fresh fecal sample and get it down to your vet's office. . .the techs are probably still available?

Customer: Ok, I didn't realise you were so far away, thanks for your time, I'll contact my vet
Dr. Barbara :

Yes, the regions do make a difference as far as contagious diseases, but animals are the same world wide.

Customer: He's very much an outdoor cat, we are surrounded by fields and woodland so a challenge to get a sample unless we lock him inside, thanks again
Dr. Barbara :

You are very welcome. It does sound like Jasper has a lovely life! I hope that all is well with him.

Customer: Thanks bye
Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We took him to the vets and he diagnosed FIP, wet type, we have him home with a course of steroids, to go back in two weeks. He says the prognosis is not good. It could have been the result of a bite from a stray cat 3 years ago. He think our other cat may also be infected. Very sad time for my family
Hi Morag,
I'm checking in on Jasper to hear about how he is doing and to find out if you've had a chance to get him to his veterinarian?
Hope all is well,
Dr. Barbara
I am so sorry, Morag, with this diagnosis for Jasper. It is not a good prognosis, but the prednisone should help him for awhile.
FIP is a strange virus in that cats can live closely with an FIP cat, and yet not become infected. I hope this is true for your other cat.
You have my empathy for your diagnosis of Jasper and impending loss. Pets sure bring a remarkable amount of joy into our lives, but their loss is so devastating.
My warmest regards to you and to Jasper. Thank you for getting back to me,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kind thoughts