Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Labrador has lost alot of weight shes fine within herself

My Labrador has lost alot of weight she's fine within herself and is eating, she's been wormed and I don't know what else it could be
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she eating as usual?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Is she drinking more than usual?
4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is off her normal food but will eat a little bit of it but if we give her pedigree chum she wolfs it down. Yes she is spayed. Drinks usual amount of water and no other symptoms expect weightloss
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
So she is not eating her normal amount of food?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has gone off her dry food and will only eat a little amount her food is down all day as I have 4 dogs but will eat other food I give her wet and even scraps of food but not the usual amount of dry food she used to eat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jemma, there are many medical problems that can cause weight loss in dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Diabetes, kidney or liver disease, absorption disorders and even cancer to name a few causes. It is also important to make certain that the dog is eating enough to maintain weight.
In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening to rule out the above mentioned diseases. In the meantime feed her separate from the other dogs. Feed according to the label indications for her weight.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter