Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

13 year old spayed developed urinary incontinence treated

Customer Question

13 year old spayed bitch developed urinary incontinence treated with Propalin (3 x doses per day) and after removal of mammary tumour in January has had some separation anxiety believe it to be a reaction to Propalin. She was a rescue just skin and bone when we had her and we have had to deal with all her problems successfully so far!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am sorry to hear that CoCo has developed separation anxiety. Now this is not considered to be a normal side effect of this drug. More often it has been linked to irritability, aggression, and restlessness in dogs.

Still if she is a shy dog, this may be how she reacts to the drug's effects. In that case, I would suggest speaking to her vet about an alternative that she may tolerate better. One example that I often use for dogs that do not get on with Propalin is called Incurin (Product Details - download). It has not had reports of effects on behavior and may be a better option for your lass. So, if she is acting out character on the Propalin, an alternative may be the best step for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )