Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is occasionally passing very wet green stools. Is this

Customer Question

My dog is occasionally passing very wet green stools. Is this a sign of a disease
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dog has eaten nothing out of the ordinary and he does not walk in puddles, but he often eats grass when out for his morning walk. Other times he does not touch the grass.

He has not vomited and is exceptionally athletic - he never stops wanting to play fetch. He has not shown any signs of having a problem. This mornings' walk his stools were OK and he only ate two small bits of grass.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Don, the green color in the stool is often seen when the intestines are over active which is consistent with a dog that has loose stool. The green color is bile that was not reabsorbed because food is moving very fast. The big question is: Why are the intestines over active? There are many possible causes, it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. .
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Consider dropping off a stool sample at your vet's office for a fecal analysis.
5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours he will need a hands on examination with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter