MsAM
MsAM,
6012901

I HAVE A SUSSEX WHITE HEN WHO HAS CURRENTLY BEEN BROODY AND

I HAVE A SUSSEX WHITE HEN WHO HAS CURRENTLY BEEN BROODY AND SITTING ON A PLASTIC EGG FOR 35 DAYS, AS THE INCUBATION PERIOD FOR CHICKEN EGGS IS APPROX 21 DAYS SHOULD I TAKE THE EGG OFF HER AND LET HER FRET? THIS IS THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW THAT SHE HAS BEEN BROODY BUT NEVER SAT SO LONG.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  MsAM replied 3 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist who has kept poultry for many years.

As you've found, it's very hard to stop broodiness. I would remove the egg. Continuing this broodiness will eventually harm the hen's health. If possible, close off the nest box so she can't get in. That might work, but it's more likely she will just go somewhere else to make what she views as a nest. You may be more successful if you can make her a small temporary pen with nothing in it but food and water. After about a week in this pen, you can try releasing her. It's normal for hens not to lay eggs for about two weeks after the broodiness stops. Sometimes all you can do is wait it out. Here's a site where you can read more about broody hens:

http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/care-of-broody-hens/4542303374

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your hen will soon be productive again.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
MsAM,
Experience: