Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a slight pale orangey discharge from her eyes, one

Customer Question

My cat has a slight pale orangey discharge from her eyes, one more so than the other. It doesn't appear to distress her and I can wipe it away once a day. About a month ago we took her to the vet who examined her and prescribed antibiotic drops for her eyes which seemed to work for a little while but now it's just as it was. Do we take her back to the vet as it doesn't seem to bother her?
Thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Christine Pollard.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you, Christine. I must conjecture that Zebbie's vet diagnosed an infectious conjunctivitis if Zebbie were prescribed antibiotic drops. In most cases, however, the infection isn't bacterial but, instead, viral. The feline herpervirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious agents in our cats' eyes and requires antiviral ophthalmic drugs such as cydofovir +/- a systemic antiviral drug such as famcyclovir. Zebbie's vet can perform PCR (a DNA-based) testing to determine if Zebbie is, indeed, suffering from FHV-1.

To answer your question directly, however, if Zebbie remains unaffected by that discharge and you don't mind cleaning it away as necessary, it's certainly appropriate not to treat. Zebbie has carried that virus for most of her life and it's not likely to cause a serious problem at this late date.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.