Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

hello,I have a two month old kitten that has hurt her back

hello,I have a two month old kitten that has hurt her back leg when she tried to jump up on a small table but could,nt get a grip and fell off,she is limping a lot ...thank you ,june....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When did Tyger fall?

Can she put weight on the leg at all?

If you gently feel the leg, does she have any swelling, soreness, or crunching?

How is she otherwise? Eating, drinXXXXX, XXXXXght/alert?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tiger fell yesterday evening ,she puts a little weight on it ,no swelling or crunching,shes eating and drinking

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, June.

I am sorry to hear that Tiger hasn't landed as gracefully as kitties are known to. Now with her being a young cat, there is a chance of serious damage from a fall is a risk here. Still if she can bear weight on the leg, then a fracture or dislocation would be less likely. If she can feel it and is not dragging the leg, nerve damage is less likely as well. Therefore, in this situation (especially as you haven't felt any bone crunching or instability), she is more likely to have experienced a strain or muscle sprain from the graceless fall.

Since she is putting some weight on this leg and is otherwise herself, you can consider monitoring and supportive care at this stage. In regards XXXXX XXXXX we would want her to continue to show improvement and further weight bearing over the next 12-24 hours. Otherwise, we want to rest the leg (just as we would rest a sprained ankle). Since she is young she may need to be strictly rested to achieve this. This may mean restricting her to a room where she cannot jump onto furniture, windowsills, or climb stairs.

As well, if she is amenable to it, warm compresses can be used on the sore limb. If you don't have anything to use as a compress at home, you can make one by filling a clean sock, 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. This can be tied closed and microwaved (~1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before using to allow the heat to distribute. Of course, do make sure it isn't too warm (as we don’t want to burn her). If it cools, you can re-warm as required. Alternatively, if she feels a bit stiff and sore, then she may even appreciate access to a heating pad or heated cat bed.

If you do this over the next few hours and we aren't seeing improvement or she is still quite sore, then we'd want to consider following up with her vet. They can ensure nothing more sinister is afoot and can prescribe cat safe pain relief like Metacam (since human pain relievers can be fatally toxic to kitties). Often with rest, warmth, and pain relief for the very sore, we can get them back to moving comfortably and settle this for quickly.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )