Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog is showing all the signs of low blood suger i.e falling

Customer Question

my dog is showing all the sign's of low blood suger i.e falling over, •Excessive thirst ••Muscle twitching; tremors restlessness, •Weakness, low energy, Disorientation,• Staggering, •Lack of coordination. he has had blood test and the only thing showing was he has a blood sugar of 2.0 and the vet seems to think this would not affect him. is this right ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I believe that 2.0 mmol/L is a problem and, in fact, simultaneous measurement of serum glucose and insulin concentration should be made when the blood glucose concentration is <3.2 mmol/L. An insulinoma - a functional pancreatic B-cell tumor that excretes excess insulin should be considered in a patient such as Charlie.

The symptoms of an insulinoma include ataxia ("drunken sailor"), disorientation, mental dullness, tremors/muscle fasciculations, polyphagia (increased hunger), restlessness, and nervousness. Seizures, weakness, and collapse are most common.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.