Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We have a Senegal. Just recently noticed a bit of a smell from

We have a Senegal. Just recently noticed a bit of a smell from his cage. Tonight changed him and in less than an hour the sand sheets were very wet. We thought a bit too much for a small bird. He is approx 20 years old his breast plumage is mostly grey . For info when we cleaned cage there was very little in the way of solid droppings. He is however otherwise alert. Appreciate any advice you can give.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing is polyuria or excessive urination. When a bird is producing enough liquid in their droppings to cause this much soaking of the news paper with minimal obvious stool then there are several potential problems most of which cannot be treated from home. Liver abnormalities, kidney abnormalities and reproductive abnormalities will all cause this potential problem and we dd need to have him examined as if this is allowed to continue without slowing it down he can dehydrate, deplete his electrolytes and cause other diseases. In the meantime mix Gatorade, Pedialyte, or other electrolyte solutions into his water and make sure he does not run out of water. Then as soon as you are able he needs to to to the avian vet to have a blood test to sort out which of these problems he's dealing with so we can start treatment.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan