Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our dog was sick twice in the night on Monday, on Tuesday she

Customer Question

Our dog was sick twice in the night on Monday, on Tuesday she ate only a very little and likewise on Wednesday. She did not eat anything yesterday but drinks a lot of water which she brings up shortly afterwards. She is quiet and subdued and is spending a lot of time just walking around the garden aimlessly. She was sick twice in the night one had grass in it and the other was pink as if there was a little blood. We have an appointment with our vet tomorrow (Saturday) but are growing concerned about her. Do you have any suggestions or advice please?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor wee Macey!

As I am sure you can appreciate, we do have to consider a range of potential agents that could induce vomiting in an middle aged dog. This will include dietary indiscretion (eating something she shouldn’t have), ingestion of a foreign body (ie toys, bones, trash, etc.), toxins, viral infections, metabolic or organ disease, pancreatitis, tumors, and most commonly bacterial gastroenteritis.

Since she is an older lass, we can hopefully put concerns of toxins and foreign bodies (which we' d want to address as soon as possible) lower on our list of concerns. If we can, we focus on some home supportive care. Now if she has just vomited in the last few hours, then you will want to take some time to rest her stomach (6-8 hours). She can have access to water but only in small amounts (since as you have seen they will often drink a large amount and be sick with it.) That said, you find she cannot even keep small sips of water down, then that is usually a sign that they are so nauseous that they will need injectable anti-vomiting medication to break the nausea cycle and give you a chance to settle her stomach.

Otherwise, if she hasn't just vomited or after she has had a bit of time to settle, we can try addressing her GI upset with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). Typically, this is given 30 minutes before food to be absorbed and in effect before offering food. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once this has had a chance to take effect, you can then try her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you do offer this, start small and only offer a spoonful. If she can keep that down for 30 minutes, she can have another spoonful and so on. The small volumes of the easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. This should get some nutrients into her and help reduce her vomiting.

Since continuous vomiting can quickly dehydrate, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).

Overall, as I am sure you can appreciate, vomiting can arise in older dogs for a range of reasons. Therefore, I would advise the above but if she doesn't settle by Saturday (or sooner if she is already dehydrated) then you will want to consider getting her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and examine her for any sinister lumps or bumps. Depending on their findings on exam, your vet will be able to dispense the appropriate treatment (ie antibiotics, etc) and treat her with an anti-vomiting medication via injection to settle her stomach and get her back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )