Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi Ive got a staff 7 years old having a litter of pups started

Customer Question

Hi I've got a staff 7 years old having a litter of pups started yesterday at 5.45 pm one pup born and nothing since she has green discharge but not in any distress or heavy breathing what should I do please kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Nash's lack of progress delivering her litter of puppies.

Has she had an ultrasound or radiographs so that you know how many puppies she has to deliver?
Though it is highly unlikely it is possible that she has only one pup to deliver.

If you know that she has more then one puppy to deliver then she needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. This is too much time elapsed between puppies. It may be that she has uterine inertia due to low blood levels of calcium or oxytocin and some injections can get her back on track in a limited time frame. Or she may be beyond that at this point and then she needs a caesarian section.

I do not recommend waiting any longer to have her examined, it has already been too long between puppies, and if she has more we need to act quickly to save the remaining puppies.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.