Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My vet has given my hamster xeno mini (once a week for 3 weeks)

My vet has given my hamster xeno mini (once a week for 3 weeks) they thought she might have mites and she was itchy and loosing hair under her chin, on her arms and her groin... This was 2 and a bit weeks ago and she has had 2 applications of the xeno and her hair is growing back on her arms and under her neck and on her groin... she is now very itchy on her back (where I put the xeno on) and the fur is thinning and it looks like very dry skin- not like the other areas. Could this be irruption due to the xeno? Is there anything I can get or do?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I have reviewed the datasheet for Xeno and the company does not report any skin irritation type side effects for hamsters. That said, if we are putting a chemical on her skin repeatedly, this will dry out the local skin and this in turn can cause our irritation.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX approach to this, since she has had plenty of time to absorb the last dose, do consider gently bathing the area with cotton wool dampened in warm water. This should remove any lingering irritating preservatives of the product. If she is very itchy sometimes using a bit of soaked oatmeal or oatmeal based shampoos can just be helpful to soothe the itch. Of course, when bathing hamsters you do want to take care to try her thoroughly and avoid any risk of chill. And just one other topical option is that you can soothe the skin by applying a thin layer of aloe vera get (do make sure to get one that is edible since hamsters will always help themselves to topical treatments)

Otherwise if the skin is quite dry, you can consider treating her with some essential fatty acids (EFA). EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat health. So, they can he helpful in cases of dry irritated skin in any species. In regards XXXXX XXXXX administration, you could consider just giving her a drop of Evening Primrose Oil or Omega 3 fish oil a few times a week (this can be purchased as a liquid or liquid containing capsules at most heath food stores and in the vitamin aisle). This can be mixed into a favorite treat and can just help the skin further recover from the mite infestation as well as this irritation.

Finally, if you try the above and she is still struggling, then you would want to speak to her vet about a hamster safe anti-inflammatory treatment to just soothe that wee last itch for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is great thank you, XXXXX XXXXX still seem quite itchy (although her hair is growing back which I assume means that she is getting a bit better) Can it be that the mites have gone and her skin is just still a bit itchy as there are a few very small scabs on her?

I'll have a look for some edible aloe vera and some fish oil - how long should I wait until this makes a difference as I have a vet appointment on monday for her.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Laura,

I agree that the hair regrowth is very positive because it tells us that she is giving her skin enough of a break to let it do so. In regards XXXXX XXXXX current state, it is quite possible that we could see low grade residual itchiness if the skin has been really irritated by those mites (healing scabs and dry skin is itchy for both hamsters and people).

As well, we have to consider that it is possible to see some itchiness arise because of other reasons (ie bedding allergies, too much or too little protein in their diet, hormonal issues or systemic disease --less likely if all was well on her exam). But those would be avenues to follow if she doesn't settle completely with her vet's treatment.

So, in this case, I'd say to try the above over the weekend and follow up with your vet on Monday. These nutrient supplements tend to be something that we need to use for a few weeks to effect since it takes time for the nutrients to get into the skin cells and help repair them. For the topical treatments for the back of her neck, I'd want her to be more comfortable at that site by Monday (since we don't want it let her scratch herself raw). If she is still irritated, then that would be the perfect time to see if they can give her a wee anti-inflammatory to soothe the skin from the inside if necessary.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.