Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Good Morning, I have a Staffi cross of about 18 months old.

Customer Question

Good Morning,

I have a Staffi cross of about 18 months old. She had a small lump on her head, which I'm not sure how she got it maybe from an insect bit or bee sting. She has now scratched it off leaving a bare patch of fur and some minor scratches.
Is it something to be worried about as she has done this previously on her leg, or is it a natural thing for dogs to do.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
To answer your question directly, it's natural for minor skin disorders to appear on our dogs but I would need to see this lesion to be more accurate for you. Can you upload a close-up photo of this area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com

An envenomation as you mentioned is a possible etiology but so is a focal pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), ringworm (fungal infection), and the demodectic mange mite.