Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi my dog as developed a milky eye what should i do

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me if Osca has milky discharge in his eye?

Or is the clear covering over the eye (the cornea) milky or hazy?

Is he squinting, tearing, or pawing at his eye?

How long has his eye been like this?

What is in the herbal drops?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slight discharge,pawing ,squinting looks hazy as from yesterday,we thought he had nettled his eye friday morning we have only used the eye drops this morning,the drops are called vizulise

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Tony,

Based on your further description of the eye, it is quite possible that he has traumatized the cornea with nettles (or something else similar). This signs he is showing --the pawing, tearing of discharge and squinting -- are all signs of eye pain for Osca. Most concerningly is the haze you are seeing now, as this is called corneal edema and the eyes way of swelling in response to trauma. It tells us that the cornea has damaged, leading to either an ulcer or laceration to the eye's covering.

Now I have reviewed the ingredients in the Vizulise drops and I have to say that they are unlikely to be of much use. Instead, especially if we are seeing worsening since Friday (where we'd expect an initial reaction that should be settling instead of worsening), we do have to be concerned about the extent of damage that has occured and the potential for secondary infection causing a bacteria conjunctivitis.

In this case, you can try your drops and flush the eye with eye-safe saline (ie first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) and you can use yuor drops twice daily over today but you need to closely monitor that eye. If it settles, then we are happy. If not or more worryingly if it worsens, then he should be seen by his vet. The reason we don't want to leave this lingering if it doesn't settle is because eyes are such delicate organs and if there has been trauma to the eye, we don’t want to let this be left unaddressed and at the mercy of bacterial colonization. Your vet will be able to examine the eye, ruling out bacterial causes for these signs. They will also be able to stain the eye with fluorescein (a yellow UV reactive stain that binds to the under layers of the cornea). This will allow them to appreciate if there has been damage to this eye and to what extent. Once they are able appreciate the state of affairs for Osca's eye, they will be able to provide you with the appropriate treatment (topical antibiotic, pain relief if he is very sore) and help his eye recover from this situation without lasting damage.

Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have him seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have Sunday office hours. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.