Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am trying to change my 10 week old yorkie puppys food from

I am trying to change my 10 week old yorkie puppy's food from burgess complete puppy food to science plan junior I have been adding a small amount of the new food to his old over the last 2 days but now he will only eat the science plan and leaves the rest until his next meal, is it ok or shall I just stop adding a small amount and just give him the new food? There really isn't enough of the new food down at the moment to satisfy him so I am worried he's not eating enough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If he is already choosing to help himself to the new diet and giving up the old, then that is a positive for the new diet. And if he has had no change in stool consistency or GI upset with his self-imposed quick switch, then it is fine to swap him over to the new diet completely and skip weaning him over slowly. We usually aim to do this to ensure a smooth transition but your boy is thwarting those good intentions. Therefore, we'd just want to make sure he has a proper amount of the new food for his dietary requirement available at this point.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi he has had a change in his stools but I'm wondering if that is because he needed worming which we did yesterday, I'm not sure if it's the food or drontal?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Having worms, worming medication taking effect, and a quick diet change could all cause self-limiting softening of the stools. In this case, I would just keep an eye on the situation and continue with the new diet. If he doesn't settle and get back to normal stools within 48 hours, then you could consider a wee bit of probiotic treatment for him (ie Fortiflora -More Info, Protexin Pro-Fiber example) to make sure that the GI bacterial are not too upset by so many changes in a short space of time.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.