Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Last winter Mum had a rat run through her greenhouse no

Customer Question

Last winter Mum had a rat run through her greenhouse no food was kept in there but they ran through Logs and kindle wood stored Now it is growing season she wants to plant cucumbers and tomatoes with the rats running through weeing etc is this safe, it wasnt just one rat it was continue problem they put pellets and poison down a lot of them were dealt with
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I understand your concern and I must emphasize that growing food in an area frequented by rats and laced with rodenticide is a very bad idea. Commercial growers would be shut down in a heartbeat and the same restrictions to growing should apply to the private grower.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to first empty the greenhouse of everything that can be removed. The entire greenhouse is then pressure washed to remove rat feces and rodenticide, rat nests, and, of course, live rats who are likely to scurry out of the greenhouse when it's first emptied. Once the above is done and prior to returning what needs to be returned to the greenhouse, measures should be taken to prohibit rats from returning to the greenhouse; in other words, access should be blocked with wire or other construction materials to make the greenhouse rodent-proof.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.