Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 4 month old goldendoodle was on royal canin maxi junior

My 4 month old goldendoodle was on royal canin maxi junior and suffered with diarhea and blood in stools. After being treated with promax it improved for a while but came back quickly. The vet, prescribed some medication to get rid of any parasites and advised me to try feeding rice and chicken to stabilise his stomach , this has worked and his stools are now good. I am trying to introduce some Purina with this but he's not too keen. Would you recommend a wet food instead, if so which one ? I don't want to put him back on royal canin as I am afraid this may upset his stomach again.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Yes, I can understand your concern.

Well, other brands I really like include regular Science Diet for puppies, or Science Diet has a new formula out called Hill's Ideal Balance.

Royal Canin is a well respected brand. We can't be certain what exactly caused the symptoms. If you were also feeding any other food or giving ANY other treats, a treat could have been the cause for sure.

But, another consideration is still doing Royal Canin junior but seeing if they have a different formula. So, if you were doing the junior chicken, maybe they have a junior lamb or fish diet instead.

Canned food. No indication at all to switch or do a canned diet. If willing to eat kibble, definitely stay with kibble.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy