Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 8 month old kitten has been itching after the application

My 8 month old kitten has been itching after the application of Frontline about 7 hours ago. He has scratched so much that his skin has become red and the fur has been pulled out in clumps. He has now become aggressive and started scratching the furniture and pulling at his claws. I tried to clean the area with water but it doesn't seem to have helped and he is now in distress. Can you recommend what I should do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history, it sounds like Fred has had a skin reaction and irritation from the Frontline product. In this case, I would advise double checking that it was correct for his weight and for cats (just since we often see people putting dog flea products on cats by mistake, and this would require an emergency vet visit).

As long as this product was intended for his size, I would advise further washing the inflamed area with fairy liquid soap diluted with cool water. This will help break down and remove any of the product. Otherwise, for severely irritated cats we will sometimes shave the fur in the area to remove residual product (which if he is pulling out the tufts he will have achieved the same).

Otherwise, since this is an allergic reaction, you can treat Fred with a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine). For a kitten, he can have 1mg (a quarter of the normal human 4mg tablet). This will help reduce the allergic reaction, though do be aware that it can make him a wee bit drowsy (just as it does people). Further to this, you can apply a thin coating of over the counter hydrocortisone cream (which can be purchased at chemists, grocery stores, superdrug, etc). This type of cream will again reduce the allergic reaction but also topically soothe the inflamed skin.

If you do this and he does not settle (or if you cannot get these products for him due to local shops being shut), then we' d have to consider contacting his vet tonight. While not a true emergency, it wouldn't be nice to leave him this irritated overnight.The vet will be able to help clear the skin of any residual material and treat him with steroids via injection to soothe the skin and stop the irritation. Therefore, just in case you cannot do the above or he is just that irritated, then do consider phoning your local vet. Most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. If you phone and they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So you need human cortisone creme?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Lisa.

You can use human hydrocortisone cream on kitties. I would just say that you will want to keep him distracted (perhaps offer treats or a small meal) while it absorbs so that he doesn't lick it off. But just as it does for people, it can reduce inflammation, irritation, and discomfort from a skin reaction of this nature.

All the best,

Dr. B.