Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 2yr old female XXXXX XXXXX helped herself to 4 very large

My 2yr old female XXXXX XXXXX helped herself to 4 very large chocolate choc chip cookies approx 36 hrs ago. She has been her normal self all day yesterday but had a very runny/windy tummy yesterday morning and was off her food. She has been drinking plenty of water. Her stools this morning were back to normal but so far today she has been very lethargic and sleepy. She has eaten her breakfast this morning. She is also very close to coming into season and this may have already started. We have only owned her for 4 weeks so we're not sure of her symptoms when in season. We haven't seen any bleeding. Do you think we should be concerned about the cookie session she indulged in or is it possibly just coming into season that has her off colour?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now without knowing how much chocolate was in those cookies, we cannot easily work out the potential role the cookies have played in her signs. That said, it isn't uncommon for the GI signs to cause them bother for up to a few days post ingestion. Furthermore, we can see some dogs develop pancreatitis from the fatty contents of the rest of the cookie.

Now Lolly's signs sound to be quite vague and paint a picture of a dog that is got a bit of a dodgy stomach and is feeling a bit off at the moment. If she hasn't been off color with her season before, this is unlikely to be the sole culprit. Still the combination of both issues could take its toll on her.

So, as long as she doesn't have any belly pain (which would raise red flags regarding pancreatitis), I would advise just monitoring her at this stage. Otherwise, if she is struggling with her food a bit, then consider putting her on small, frequent meals of a light diet (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food -- as long as its free from garlic or onion powder) over the next few days to keep her stomach settled. As well, you can give her an antacid to help. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose) These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if she has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't noted before. These can just allay chocolate cookie induced stomach upset for her.

If you try the above and she doesn't perk up in the next 24-48 hours or if she does have belly pain, then you might want to consider following up with her vet for a check-up to make sure nothing else is amiss for Lolly.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.