Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

we have a 3 year old boxer who has a continuing limp on her

Customer Question

we have a 3 year old boxer who has a continuing limp on her back leg after exercise after a nights rest she seems fine. We have been to our local vet but she had a bad experience
over a broken claw and will not tolerate them looking at it, they gave her metacam which helped but it is still a worry to us. We have tried gentle exercise on a lead but she still gets the stiffness, she seems fine in herself and wants to run about what can we do please
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10 to 12 weeks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Ruth, what you are describing is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. A very common injury in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). This is what you can do:

1- Rest her for the next 4-6 weeks; no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.
2- Continue on metacam.
3- If the lameness is not better in 3-5 days after doing the above I would have family veterinarian do xrays and an orthopedic examination. If the lameness does improve continue to rest her as described above. Soft tissue injuries take time to heal, if she starts running or jumping she will begin to limp again if not given time to heal.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry for delay in replying, we find a short rest after walking makes her very stiff but after a nights sleep she seems fine. Also she keeps worrying a spot on the middle of her back especially if she is stiff, is this from the pain?

I noticed that she seems to walk as if there is a problem with her hip is this what you are discribing as cranial cruiate ligament injury?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
It could be the cranial cruciate ligament, very common injury. Certainly there are other ligaments and tissues that could be injured.
The stiffness (pain) and improvement after rest are consistent with a soft tissue injury.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have already done this rest period as instructed weeks ago and no longer have metacam, is this needed to help her heal? I did wonder if gloucosamine might help her could you advise me please.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Glucosamine will promote the production of joint fluid, it will not hurt to start her on it. But, she should also be on an anti inflammatory medication like Metacam. In addition, rest her again as described above.

Dr. Peter