Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a cat since march called Milly, aged 12 - 13yrs old.

Customer Question

I have a cat since march called Milly, aged 12 - 13yrs old. She doesn't really like to be touched and growls a lot. I took her to the vets for general checkup and they noted she had fleas and gave her a neck drop treatment to kill them off.

From her mid spine down to her tail her fur looks dirty in colour and is really matted now, it was close to this when I took her to the vets and I mentioned if they could brush it as she doesn't like me touching her. The vets said it would sort itself and for me to groom her - to which is impossible. Yesterday and today I have noted just how matted this fur in the area is , no brush would go through it and clumps of fur in the said area are falling out, I am quite sure I saw a bald spot. Do you know what is causing tis and also is it quite [possible that Milly doesn't like to be touched due to being in pain
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, I do know what is causing thsi. In older cats, they will have overactive Sebaceous Glands. These are oil glands within the hair follicles that produce this oil causingthis matting. It is called Stud Tail in some male cats and there is no way to stop this.

The best treatment for this is to bath Milly once a week...if she does not like this, use a waterless shampoo available at the pet store. You will have to cut out the matts using a comb under the matt to be sure you do not cut her. Then brush her daily to keep the matts from forming.

This LINK may give you more information. Even though this refers to males, it is the same thing happening to Milly. It is not hurting her but with some treatment, you can get this under control.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta