Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 10 years od black lab who has dark ear wax. We paid

Customer Question

I have a 10 years od black lab who has dark ear wax. We paid before for her ears to be washed out under general anesthetic and anti biotics but appears to have come back. What are the alternatives?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Connie's condition...I know this is frustrating.

The possibilities for this condition is:

1. Ear Infection
  2. Foreign Body
  3. Wax accumulation
  4. Allergic Reaction

The best thing to use for now is Swimmer's Ear which can be purchased at the chemist OTC and will dry out this area so the bacteria can grow and dissolve wax. Apply a few drops every 8 hrs. Massage it down and then wipe out the excess with a kleenex. Do this for 2-3 days and if it is not helping, then you may require stronger prescription medications from your vet if this is an ear infection. A foriegn body is unlikely and considering Connie's age, this is probably due to larger amounts of wax....a preventative using Swimmer's Ear 2-3 times per week will really help.

Aspirin can be given at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce pain from this infection.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta