Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have caught what I think is a juvenile bird - perhaps a Jackdaw

Customer Question

I have caught what I think is a juvenile bird - perhaps a Jackdaw - which a cat was after. IIt cannot fly but trys to. Is there anywhere near Southampton I could take it to? At the moment I cronered it in the garden and put a large box over it on the grass. It has a hole or two for air.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about this poor wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have done some hunting to find you a local rehabilitation center for this poor lad. Unfortunately, they are proving illusive. Therefore, especially since he is damaged, I would strongly advise taking him to your nearest small animal vet practice. They have a duty of care to wildlife and will take him in. Depending on the extent of his wounds, they will be able to provide treatment and turn him over to the local rehabilitation center they work with (and often since they have a relationship with these groups, they can get the birds in even if the public cannot). So, this would be the best course of action under the circumstances and in your location.

Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I put him in a box for overnight with some water. Went out this morning and the box was turned over and he was gone. No feathers around so maybe he came round and took off or scrambled into some nearby bush. Oh well, hopefully he made it.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome, Robert.

It is quite possible that once the shock wore off, he made his escape. Hopefully, he can just stay out of site of predators, heal, and get back to his wild wee life.

Have a good day,
Dr. B.