Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog just started yelping and wrapping her tail under her. I

Customer Question

My dog just started yelping and wrapping her tail under her.
I lifted the tail and all of her female parts seem to look okay but as I lifted it higher to see the anus she yelped again.
She got up and rolled around then the pain hit her again acutely.
From that point on she is very reluctant to move from a sitting position.
Now she has a narrow hip score and had a lot more exercise today than she is used to.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Coco has injured a disc in the vertebrae at the base of her tail or close to the tail. This can happen when playing hard or by some form of trauma or just by moving the wrong way. The best thing to do for now is to give Coco aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the inflammation that is causing her this pain. Try to keep Coco as immobile as possible so the disc or bruised area has a chnace to heal. Certainly, if this continues, have your vet examine her but chnaces are, with such a young strong lab, she will come out of this quickly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect.

Thanks ever so much!

You are very welcome, Ben....I hope Coco feels better very soon.

Thank you so much, Ben, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Coco is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, Ben. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Coco. Is she feeling any better? Thanks!