Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat is breathing fast and not eating jist lying in bed total

Customer Question

my cat is breathing fast and not eating jist lying in bed total out of caricter she also has a bald patch under her chin. she is a in door cat who plays and fights with my other 2.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Fee Fee is breathing rapidly, even at rest and is lethargic with a bald area under her chin. While stress or fear can make a cat pant or breathe fast for a short period of time, and lead to a mild decrease in her appetite, it shouldn't last.

If she doesn't have a nasal discharge and isn't sneezing then her difficulty breathing is likely related to a problem in her chest.
That includes trauma and bleeding in her chest (if she is indoors only from a fall), primary heart disease (including cardiomyopathy and heartworm), lung disease including asthma, bacterial, viral (like FIP, feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus)or fungal infections, a mass(es) in the chest including lymphoma, heart based tumors or carcinomas, or fluid around the lungs (pleural effusion) due to a mass, bleeding, chylothorax or an infection.

The conditions I listed above are serious and are not amenable to home therapy. Fee Fee needs an examination, radiographs of her chest to evaluate her heart and lungs to start and then further diagnostics based upon those findings. In the meantime keep her quiet and away from your other kitties so she can breathe as easily as possible.

I would bring her food and water to her so she doesn't have to work to get to it, but if she refuses to eat and drink that means her condition is very serious and she should be examined as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.