Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have just seen a hedgehog walk across my garden carrying

I have just seen a hedgehog walk across my garden carrying a young one in its mouth. Is this normal behaviour or should I be concerned? I feed hedgehogs every evening but have never seen this before.

Many thanks.

Helen Comyns
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Helen. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this wee one today.

First, this is a natural behavior and it suggests that something has recently disturbed their den and mum is relocating her wee ones to a more secure den. (If the wee ones were under a week of age, she would have eaten them instead of relocating them). You don't need to be concerned or intervene, just let her move them unmolested. And since this is a behavior triggered by potential threats, I would keep an eye out for predators (ie cats) bothering them in your garden and perhaps do what you can to discourage any entering your yard.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )