Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have recently removed a couple of ticks from my dog. One

Customer Question

I have recently removed a couple of ticks from my dog. One of them was removed completely and I could see the legs of it but it has left a little hard white lump is this normal. Not he other one was really big and I broke it (full of blood) getting it out and it has stabbed. Is it harmful if part of the tick got left in the skin.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, it is common for inflammation to develop in the area of the tick bite, what you can do is clean the area with an antibacterial soap then apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2 times a day. You can buy these topical products over the counter in any chemist.
As far as the body part left behind, there will be localized inflammation that may persist for several weeks. But, Elvis's body will eventually get rid of the body part, it will not be a problem.
Consider using Frontline once a month as a tick preventative.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!