Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My labrador is on day 10 since she started first season.

Customer Question

My labrador bitch is on day 10 since she started first season. She has had loose stools for several days, pooed in the house at night on three occasions during the night, and this afternoon has been vomiting,eating grass to make it happen, drooling. What is going on?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets were uncomfortable not being able to tell you as specific an answer as you'd like to receive.

I've recognized over the many years of practice that heat periods can cause gastrointestinal distress presumably from the hormonal and prostaglandin level changes in our dogs. This is self-limiting and can be addressed in a conservative manner with over the counter loperamide (Imodium in the States) at a dose of 0.1mg/kg every 8-12 hours.

There are far more etiologies for vomiting and diarrhea to consider, however, including primary gastrointestinal disorders - infections, parasitism, inflammatory bowel disease, e.g - as well as GI disorders secondary to problems outside the GI tract - pancreatitis, hepatitis, nephritis, e.g.

It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you. I would need to perform a thorough physical exam on Lola and diagnostic testing in the form of blood and urine tests just as her vet would need to do. I would see how the loperamide works for her but if she's still symptomatic in another couple of days it would be best for her vet to take a look at her if for the only reason that she could receive supplemental fluids and electrolytes in a hospital setting which can go a long way to improving her general well-being.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if it is self limiting and due to hormones when will it stop?

I expect these dogs to normalize once they move from proestrus (swelling of vulva, bloody discharge) into estrus (receptive to male/creamy or no discharge). Proestrus can last 3 days to 3 weeks with the average being 9 days.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Lola, please?