Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

I have two dogs one is a 5year old and the other is a 1year

I have two dogs one is a 5year old and the other is a 1year old. Both are male and the same breed King Charles Cavaliers, I have had them both since they were puppies and both have been toilet trained from a young age. The younger one has started peeing in the kitchen in various spots or laundry room. They have a free run of the house downstairs and as I am based at home they are always in and out the garden. I let them out the garden first thing in the morning and they do their business but as soon as I go upstairs to collect washing or make the beds I come down and I see wee. I'm sure it is Harley (the one year old) as Bailey goes right back to bed under the stairs after his morning wee.
They haven't been neutered by the way.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jill :

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'd by happy to help with your questions.

Dr. Jill :

Based upon your description, you're probably dealing with either a medical condition with one of the dogs causing them to urinate more frequently, or you're dealing with a behavior issue. You sound quite convinced it's the younger of the two, though you could separate them after they go out in the morning to make sure. The first step I would then recommend is having your veterinarian perform a urinalysis (testing a urine sample) of the dog that is urinating to see if there are signs of a medical condition such as a urinary tract infection, crystals in the urine causing irritation, or kidney issues. Bloodwork can also help look at kidney function and identify other issues that can cause increased drinking and urination.

Dr. Jill :

If that all checks out as normal, then that points more toward a behavioral issue. At 1 year old, the puppy is probably starting to develop more adult behaviors such as territorial marking, and they may be both trying to do this in competition. Neutering would be my next suggestion if a medical issue is not identified as neutering can greatly curtail certain behavioral and territorial issues. And until a solution is found, not leaving either dog alone would be useful for preventing accidents. This can include having them on leashes with you at all times in the house, crate confinement when you are upstairs, or leaving them outside when you are unable to be with them. If you keep the dogs with you and see one in the act, you can redirect him outside. (If he’s not caught in the act, he will not identify any punishment or other cues with the urination. So punishment after the fact is ineffective and usually just causes frustration and anxiety with the dog potentially worsening the problem.) But before looking at training or behavior modification, I believe it is important to rule out medical issues to be fair to the pet.

Dr. Jill :

I hope this addresses your questions and gives you a plan of action. If you have any further questions regarding this issue please don’t hesitate to ask…I would be happy to continue the conversation.

Customer: Hi Dr Jill,
Customer: Hi Dr Jill, thanks for replying I don't think it is a health issue as they both sleep downstairs not crated for at least 7 hours and do not have any accidents. I was wondering if it was a territorial issue as both being male dogs. When they are outside wherever one of them does a wee the other one always will go and wee over the top of it. I just can't understand why it is being done indoors. My first point of call is always to take them to the vet to get anything checked out but my gut feel was that it is a territorial problem or something of such like. What would you recommend i use to clean the wee up indoors to neutralise the smell? To stop the dogs sniffing the area?
Customer: Hi Dr Jill, thank you for your reply. They both sleep downstairs of a night for at least 7 hours not crated with access to my hallway and downstairs cloakroom and they have no accidents and this is what I can't understand. I don't think and my gut feel was that it isn't a health issue for either one to be able to go that long without a wee. My first point of call is always to take them to the vet to get anything checked out but I just can't understand why it is being done indoors, when it appears I am around. I was thinking it could be a territorial issue as them both being male dogs? What would you suggest I use to neutralise the smell after cleaning as I know dogs have a very strong sense of smell and can still probably smell it after I have cleaned up.
Customer: K
Customer: ji
Customer: ki
Customer: Sorry if message has sent twice to you twice I wasn't sure if it had gone through when I pressed reply as it disappeared off screen
Dr. Jill :

Thank you for the additional information! I would agree that a behavioral issue (such as territorial marking) is more likely to be the cause, though I would still suggest a urinalysis at your vet’s just to make sure we’re not missing something obvious (like crystals or infection). The next steps if that is normal that I would recommend are neutering and not leaving them unattended in the house in the morning. Again, if you can’t catch them in the act, you can’t effectively correct the behavior with training.

I’m not sure what cleaners are available in your area, but generally enzymatic cleansers are most effective for eliminating urine smells (enzymes help break down the proteins in the urine and help eliminate smell). Your local pet store staff would likely be able to give you recommendations on what works with their clientele. Amazon also has a variety of options.

Please let me know if there’s anything further I can address to be of assistance. Thanks!

Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years of veterinary experience