Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 5 year old cat was attacked in her own home Friday, a cat

Customer Question

My 5 year old cat was attacked in her own home Friday, a cat came through her cat flap. 5 days later she will not go out, let me pick her up and only tolerate small amounts of fuss, been to the loo, she is walking very slowly but can walk, she is eating very little and is not herself at all, she has been a patient at the coundon practice 4 years ago so will be registered there, shall I bring her in to be seen by a vet? thank you for your time, wendy falconer, cat name Coco.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Coco has been attacked in her own home by this presumptuous feline invader. In this case, I would note that if you do not have a collar fob or microchip reading cat flap, then this may be a worthwhile investment for the future to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Just to note, Coco's lack of willingness to go outside is not a surprise here. She likely feels a bit wary of what attackers may be lying in wait outside As well, if she isn't feeling 100% and is sore, then she may not be keen to go outside because of that. So, I wouldn't force the issue at this point but instead use it as a sign that she is feeling poorly with this and we need to help her.

Otherwise, if Coco is lethargic, moving slowly, eating poorly, and is not herself; I would be concerned that she may be sore but also brewing an infection from a cat bite or scratch sustained during the attack. It isn't uncommon for cats to have cat bite abscesses brewing that you may struggle to find. This is because they can be diffuse under the skin or missed due to being covered by her coat until they are very advanced and large. As well, we can see bite punctures heal quickly but leave infection inside to make the cat feel poorly days later.

In this situation, since she is showing these signs so many days after the attack and not improving, it would be ideal to ring your vet and have her seen (if she was registered there 4 years ago, they should still have her information on file). They can help you identify the focus of infection, check her for fever, and dispense a course of antibiotics and feline safe pain relief (ie metacam) to settle this for her and getting her feeling back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )