kshanti
kshanti,
61840635

4 year old ferret extremely thin lethargic, dehydrated, possible

4 year old ferret extremely thin lethargic, dehydrated, possible swollen kidney and has exploded black tar like poo all over himself.
Treatable or PTS?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  kshanti replied 3 years ago.
hello- my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help advice you on this situaation.I am sorry someone has not gotten back to you sooner. .

THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT IS AN EMERGENCY THAT MAY BE CURABLE. PLEASE TAKE YOUR FERRET TO THE VET RIGHT AWAY, if you have not already done so. There may be things that can be done for the animal. but the longer you wait, the less certain that you will be in time for him/her to get some relief.

The symptoms you named point to a likely problem in your ferret's G/I tract. Your ferret may have a bacterial infection. Or is it possible that s/he has eaten something s/he found, such as pieces of clothing or toys? It also could be hair balls that the ferret cannot hock up. Ferrets cannot necessarily spit things up like a dog or a cat, so eating the wrong thing or having hairballs can make them very very sick. There are many other severe G/I problems that effect ferrec, but the ones I've named are the most common given the symptom picture.

by the way, if you are worried about a vet bill, please call around to local vets are even the SPCA to find out what payment plans or free or reduced emergency vet visits can be arranged.

Please let me know how things work out for you. I am very concerned. Please rate my response and the feel free to ask follow up questions at know extra charge. best regards, ***** *****
kshanti,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a question but a big thank you Patience (kshanti) for answering. Unfortunately we couldn't wait any longer than we did for an answer from the original person we sent the question to and decided to take our ferret straight to the vet. It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that he had to be put to sleep, the vet said he had fluid build up in his tummy which was empty of food, the black tar like poo was probably from bleeding up in his tummy and he was very weak. His quality of life was quite poor so we had to make the decision there and then. Thank you once again.