Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

is it selfish to put my 12 year old British Blue cat through

is it selfish to put my 12 year old British Blue cat through a subtotal colectomy? He is nearly blind and it is in a degenerative form. I am also concerned he might have a mild form of dementia but cannot be sure. He certainly knows me. He is much loved so I am loathe to have him put to sleep without gathering an external opinion. Many thanks Angela
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the time this reply has taken to get back to you. I've just come online this morning to find it somewhat buried in the queue
I'm sorry to read of Monty's condition, which I assume it is chronic constipation. As you are no doubt aware, this is a very stubborn disorder to try to manage. Are you doing the enemas yourself at home, or is this something that requires veterinary assistance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The enamas are done by the vet but they are not working. The only thing that now works is evacuation under a general anaethsetic.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you Angela. Has anyone suggested using pumpkin or squash as an aid for keeping the stool softer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I did try that once although Monty did not like it. Will try again. A friend mentioned there is a drug called Picolax which is for constipated humans and I should find out whether this can be given to cats. Have you heard of it?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Angela. Most cats , in my experience tolerate the pumpkin or squash in the therapeutic dose (one teaspoon per pound, 2 teaspoons per kg) very well when mixed in the food. If Monty's colon has lost proper movement and doesn't respond to cisapride a medication that stimulates peristaltic action, the only remaining option is to remove some of the unresponsive intestine with a colectomy, but even that is not a guaranteed treatment. As I wrote earlier, this can be a very tough condition to treat. Picolax is a thought, but I don't know of it being used routinely in the management of chronic constipation. It's definitely strong, (if you've ever had a colonoscopy, you can appreciate how strong!), and if there is any muscle tone at all present, it would possibly work, but cats are very sensitive to chemicals in general, and the effects of the Picolax on Monty would be a pretty severe trial for you and him, I would think. Your veterinarian is doing the best they can for Monty, and, unfortunately, unless you can get things moving with a less radical therapy, it would appear the next logical step is a subtotal colectomy. I wish you and Monty the very best.
If you should have further questions Angela, please let me know.
Kind regards, XXXXX