Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Maddie a labrador age 9....just picked her up from hospital

Customer Question

Maddie a labrador bitch age 9....just picked her up from hospital (she went in last night with bleedy stools).regarding Zantac which was subscribed on discharge....i declined this having heard negative reports.I take omeprazole every day and have done for 10 years or so ..due to a hiatus .can i give an amount to her instead ? HGE is her diagnosis.

regards
Darcy
Teddington.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Darcy and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your vet prescribed this to decrease the nausea associated with this condition. Zantac can be used but it can be substituted with Omeprazole at a dose of 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound every 24 hrs to help Maddy with this condition. It is best, Darcy, to start at the middle range of 0.4 mg per pound every 24 hrs.

This LINK explains in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Loretta,

thats good.

I take 20mg tablets ....Maddie is 32kg....need a calculator..

Thankyou

Darcy

That is perfect, Darcy..the dose is also in kg at 0.5 to 1 mg per kg...Maddie would take the same as you...20 mg per day.

I hope Maddie feels better soon, Darcy. You are doing great!!