Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My brothers dog has swollen eyes & face the only thing he

My brothers dog has swollen eyes & face the only thing he can think why this is is this morn the dog swallowed a wasp
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about poor Bailey.
The most common cause of sudden facial/eye swelling is an allergic reaction.
This is usually to an insect bite or sting, so it may be the wasp stung him before it died.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

Is his breathing and activity normal?
No vomiting or diarrhea?

You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 8 to 12 kilos of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.

Dogs take a really high dose compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do.
This may make him a little sleepy.
And then you'll need to watch him closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.

In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first.
And that is very rare.
Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.

Because you know now that he has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.

If you notice progression of his symptoms don't wait, have him checked by a veterinarian on an emergency basis.
If you'd like you can have his regular vet check him too. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster.
But if he seems to be doing well then I would just call them and let them know so it is on his record for future reference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.