Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi I have two question about a pregnancy. 1, I am thinking

Customer Question

I have two question about a pregnancy.

1, I am thinking a mating of my 1 year old and 4monts fimail dog.
Is there any problem for her helth to became pregnant on her first season?

2 ,I will move to US in July,my friends and mail owner in England want her puppy, from which mounts is suit for puppy to fly?

Kind regards,
Minae
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. To answer your questions directly...

1) Most breeders prefer to wait until the second or third heat to breed their dogs but this is more because they want to see how their dogs develop than because there's an increased risk to the health of the dam when bred at the first heat. In Shepherds, particularly, X-rays of hips and other joints can't be evaluated properly until they're 2 years of age; hence, the wait until they've cycled 2 or 3 times.

2) I'll need you to clarify what you're asking about flying. If you're asking whether or not a puppy can fly from the UK to the US, yes, it can. You need only check with the airline to see if it has an age requirement.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.