Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 13 week old bunnie has scabs on her back upper part near

Customer Question

My 13 week old bunnie has scabs on her back upper part near shoulder blades. has been vaccinated a month ago. shes licking and biting the areas. have been to the vet. doesn't seem to be flea or mite bites. as no dry dandruff skin is apparent. could it be an allergy
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Sorry to hear about Gretal's skin problems Scabs without dandruff could be due to an allergy, but flea saliva allergy is among the different allergens that could be affecting her. A bacterial skin infection could also be the problem. If she was vaccinated in this same area, it could be due to a localized reaction to the vaccine, but because it was itchy, Gretal has perpetuated the skin disease by licking and biting the area. Finally, it could be mites. Since it isn't dandruffy, it is probably not cheyletiella mites, but could be demodex or scabies mites.

Dr. Barbara :

The best would be to have her veterinarian check her and do a skin scraping to see exactly what is causing Gretal's scabbing and itching, and then deal with it specifically. Hope this is helpful. . .please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi Belle,
Thank you so much for your rating and bonus. . .very much appreciated!
I sure hope all is going well for you and Gretal, and that you were able to determine an exact cause and successful treatment.
I'd love to hear!
Dr. Barbara