Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My cat has just come in and has clearly been in a fight. He

My cat has just come in and has clearly been in a fight. He is limping on his front left paw, has a scratch over his left eye, had fur pulled out in various places and just wants to curl up in a corner, clearly wincing when he tries to move. He also seems very docile to his normal confident self...I don't think it's a call out emergency but I am somewhat concerned. What can I do to help him ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Mogley.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is not feeling well.

Dr. Bruce :

The best course of action would be to take him to the vet for treatment. The wounds should be cleaned, and he likely needs to be on antibiotics.

Dr. Bruce :

Having said that, cats are particularly impressive healers. It may not be necessary to treat him at all. If you want to monitor him for the next couple of days, then make sure that he continues to eat and drink.

Dr. Bruce :

The biggest concern is infection. He can develop an abscess at the site of the bite or bites. Typically, abscesses cause fever, loss of appetite, swelling, and pain. Of any of these signs occur, then it becomes more likely that you will need to take him to the vet for treatment.

Dr. Bruce :

If he keeps eating and drinking, and has no significant lameness for the next 3-4 days, then he will probably pull through on his own.

Dr. Bruce :

I would be concerned about Feline AIDS and he should be tested in a few months to make sure that he has not contracted the virus.

Dr. Bruce :

If he will let you clean the wounds, use warm soapy water. Look for any bite wounds on his left front leg. If he lets you, try soaking his left front paw in a warm Epsom salt solution 1-2 times per day for the next few days.

Dr. Bruce :

Do not give him any over the counter medication. There are no safe meds for cats.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that he is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

Thanks for your reply

Dr. Bruce :

How is he doing?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael,

I switched to this format so that we can continue this chat. How is Mogley doing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor Bruce

Firstly I would like to apologise for not replying to you for your concerned enquiries, for some unknown reason as I was typing my reply to you the text I was writing kept vanishing and I gave up after a message say ' the chat had finished '...I don't do IT too well but I found it most frustrating after the 3rd attempt also disappeared ! However I wanted to s aay thank you for your advice as Mogly has been making steady progress since he came in through the window early Saturday am. I treated the wounds with luke warm salty water and they appear to have healed quickly. He is no longer limping I'm glad to report but is very nervous about going out at present which I guess is to be expected. I shall indeed have him tested for feline aids in a few weeks.

Thanks again

Michael Hubbard