Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can I give my 4 month old puppy chappie

Customer Question

Can I give my 4 month old puppy chappie
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now first I must note that Chappie is an complete dog food for adult dogs. Therefore, it is not ideal for use in puppies, as it just won't have the same levels of nutrition and protein for the growing puppy. Therefore, it would be ideal to compare its nutrition information with the puppy foods you have tried and perhaps try to supplement anything the Chappie may be lacking to ensure that Bertie gets all the nutrition he needs.

Otherwise, if Bertie does have a sensitive stomach and is prone to gas, then it may be that he is sensitive to a dietary component shared in the diets you have tried. So, do consider comparing the diets you have tried to see if there are any links and avoid those components in the future. As well, do keep an eye on the levels of soy or fiber in the diets you feed, since high levels can lead to GI bacteria imbalances that lead to gas and GI upset. Furthermore, if anything has caused imbalance or upset in his GI microflora (those good bacteria), then you may wish to make sure all is balanced within the GI good bacteria population by using a probiotic treatment for him (ie Fortiflora -More Info)

Further to these modifications, you can also use activated charcoal to reduce gas and colic effects from dietary sensitivity. This comes in a wide range of OTC preparations on the market to add to food (example) or even incorporated into biscuits to use as treats (example ). Furthermore, there are even homeopathic remedies (example) that can be helpful reducing trapped wind and GI discomfort for dogs.

Overall, Chappie is a fine option for an adult dog with dietary sensitivities. For a pup, it lacks the same nutritional level as puppy specific foods. Therefore, do consider the above steps of reducing his signs. But if you do so and are really struggling, then consider putting him on Chappie but making sure to supplement him to meet any differences between Chappie and the puppy diets you have tried.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )