Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog seems to have some kind of oesophageal obstruction or

my dog seems to have some kind of oesophageal obstruction or some other cause of a coughing/abdominal response. She has not been sick or produced anything orally but is out of sorts and has been coughing intermittently over the last hour or so. She has no signs of fever but her breathing is a little laboured. It is hard to know what is going on - can you advise?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she eating and drinking?
2- Is she hacking like if something is stuck in her throat?
3- Has she been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, dog park, etc. in the last week or so?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for not coming back to you sooner Dr Peter - we were expecting a response from your colleague last night. When we didn't hear back and Ellie seemed to settle we went to bed.

She is still out of sorts and feeling sorry for herself. She did cough a few times through the night but this was not prolonged as it had been last night. Initially I thought she may have swallowed something that had become stuck in her oesophagus but I now think this is more a respiratory response as there is no retching after a bout of coughing. She seems a bit wheezy/ and snores slightly when she is sleeping. This in itself is not unusual. I have asked her normal vet about her breathing before and it has been checked and given the all clear previously - on more than one occasion.

She has not had anything to eat yet but last night was eating fine. Her nose is cold and wet and her gums are a healthy pink.

This last two weeks she has been staying with my folks up in the highlands as we have been away overseas. She and our other dog have met many new dogs but not yesterday as it was my husband and I who walked them She may have eaten something unsavoury on the beat h but she has not been sick and no retching has been evident. In fact until this prolonged coughing began late yesterday evening she had been perfectly contented and sleeping in the corner or the living room.

Ellie weighs about 16killos she has always been a sturdy dog but is not fat.

Please let me know your thoughts - is this some kind of asthmatic episode possibly?

Jacqui Lunday Johnstone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My question was sent late yesterday evening and although I have provided additional information I still haven't recieved a response. My dog is still unwell and so I would appreciate a response from another available vet please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been very frustrating. I had an excellent service last time. This time I have waited several hours and am still no further forward ! Please answer my query. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jacqui, I am so sorry for the wait. But, we are here on real time and if the expert the client requested is not available then the client may need to wait until that expert becomes available. I was offline by the time you submitted your response, sorry.

In response to your question, the history and symptoms you are describing in Ellie are consistent with a common respiratory infection called "Kennel Cough." In other words, she has a dog cold. This infection is caused by viruses or bacterias, we sometimes need to treat the patient with oral antibiotics. This is usually not a life threatening condition but I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.