Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi I bought a puppy yesterday he is 9 weeks old and I think

Hi I bought a puppy yesterday he is 9 weeks old and I think he may have fleas what should I do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

If Jackson has fleas, then you can flea comb him and submerge those creepy crawlies in washing up liquid. Otherwise, if he is larger then a kilogram, then he is old enough for you to treat him with Advocate (HERE) from your vets. The great thing about Advocate is that it will kill the fleas but also treat him for GI worms and lungworm (which they can ge from the slugs and snails). And since it is a newer product to our older ones, it is much more effective at treating for fleas. All you need to do is pop Jackson into your vets to get an up to date weight and this can be dispensed.

Just in case he is still under a kilogram in body weigh, you can alternatively use Frontline Spray (example). This can safely be used to kill fleas in pups as young as 2 days old. And since it is weight dependent in dosing, so any small pup can be treated with it. So, if he is tiny, he can still be treated with this option.

Finally, in case you are facing a big infestation and the fleas are in the house, I do just want to note that you always want to make sure that the flea house treatments you use contain Insect Growth Regulator (IGR). Products with IGR don't just kill adult fleas but also stop flea eggs and flea larvae from becoming those blood sucking adults. That way it tackles not just adult fleas but keeps their offspring from nibbling on the members of your household.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )