Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 16 year old puss has what appears to be constipation. She

Customer Question

Our 16 year old puss has what appears to be constipation. She continually attempts but rarely manages to poo. We have noticed blood spots on carpet from her bottom
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that Felix is constipated. This can be an issue we frequently see in our elderly kitties. Now you have no noted how long she has been having trouble, but I will outline some techniques you can try at home to get things moving. Of course, if it has been days or she is feeling very poorly, you will want to consider following up with her vet when they are open since constipation can be a secondary issue to many health problems (ie arthritis, organ issues like kidney disease, cancer, etc) for older kitties.

In this case, you can help relieve mild constipation at home with a number of wee tricks. First, you can offer some cow milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.

You can also treat her with hairball medication (ie. Catalax). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose (LINK) or mineral oil/liquid parrafin (from the pharmacy) orally. These should be ideally offered in food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). All of these will act as a GI lubricant and help get things moving for her.

Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you continue to monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your cat begins to vomit or worsens, then she needs to be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )