Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 7 month old German Shepherd puppy got into the bin 4 days

My 7 month old German Shepherd puppy got into the bin 4 days ago and has had diahrrea since. I bought some anti diarrhea tablets and didn't feed him for 36 hours, but he is still producing runny feces. He also seems to have a very runny nose. He is very happy and responcive and drinking a lot of water, but after having lost a puppy to HGE two years ago. Should I be as concerned as I am or is this probably a cold or a bit of food poisoning from the bin?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know what he could have eaten from the garbage?
2- What is the appearance of the nasal discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Peter,

there was some old pepperoni, tea bags, stale bread and the remnance of some ready meals. I made sure to check if there was any wrappers etc missing or chewed up but there were not. He also ate things like birthday cake and a couple other bits when at a friends house before I could stop him later that day.

The nasal discharge is clear and watery.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Ben, as you already know the diarrhea is most likely secondary to the dietary indiscretion. There are other possible causes for diarrhea like: Intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. As far as the nasal discharge, he could have a different problem like a respiratory infection. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, imodium or anti diarrhea medication. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours have him checked by your family veterinarian.
5- If the nasal discharge develops a thick yellowish discharge or he begins to cough I would have family veterinarian examine him and start him on oral antibiotics. In the meantime observe him.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.