Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 2 and a half year old neutered male brought up bright green

Customer Question

My 2 and a half year old neutered male brought up bright green bile yesterday. He was lethargic yesterday. Today he has picked up, had some water earlier and this morning we gave him some tuna in spring water. He happily ate some but 5 min later brought it back up, no bile this time. He's had a few dremies (treat) but seemed to have trouble chewing and some fell out of his mouth. The have stayed down.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets were uncomfortable not being able to give you a specfic answer. Because I'm late to the party, I must ask for an update on Oscar's condition, please.

In most cases I address simple vomiting by fasting my patients for up to 24 hours. Dietary indiscretions often respond to no more than fasting and so a vet visit can be avoided. When vomiting reoccurs and dehydration and electrolyte imbalance becomes a risk, I recommend replacing fluids by needle - either subcutaneously or intravenously - in a hospital setting. Extensive testing in such a yong cat as Oscar isn't usually revealing although an X-ray or ultrasound of his abdomen would be indicated if Oscar has a history of ingesting non-food items.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, by the time we got your response we had taken oscar to the vet. he had a severe infection in his tummy, not a blockage. he got anti vomiting injectin for the first day with antibiotic injections and was completely back to himself by thursday.

whilst I thank you for your your help and respone I wont be using this service again. our cat is insured heavily and we will fork out extra for weekend and out of hour services (which we did when we didnt get a reply)in the future.

I understand.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do, but thank you for your help.

(moderator close)