Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog has cut her paw and it wont stop bleeding. what should

my dog has cut her paw and it won't stop bleeding. what should i do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Honey had injured her paw.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, just as in people, dogs can sustain a range of cuts to the pad of differing depths and affecting different vessels. And it is worth noting that paw pads are very vascular and very prone to bleeding profusely when cut. With all this in mind, we need to take some general steps to stop bleeding but if we do and bleeding doesn't settle with in 5-10 minuets, then we have to be concerned about deeper wounds and even arterial bleeds and seek medical care urgently.

In regards ***** ***** first aid for a cut of this nature, you need to take a cotton or gauze swab (even a tea towel if that is all you have to hand) apply constant pressure for 10 minutes. If you cannot stop the bleeding with pressure, then this would be a sign that she needs to be seen. (We do sometimes but corn starch, corn flour, or plain flour on wounds to slow bleeding and aid clot formation but in this case you will be hard pressed to apply this under the pad.).

If it does stop with pressure, then you can consider flushing the wound with salt water (1tbsp salt to pint warm water), drying, and then applying a foot bandage. (To apply the bandage, you can watch a video HERE) .This will keep the wound clean and free from licking until you can follow up with her vet for a wound check (for antibiotics +/- stitching) first thing tomorrow morning.

Of course, if you cannot get the bleeding to stop or cannot bandage the paw on your own then you will need to have her seen urgently. And in that case, it is worth noting that vets in this country do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice, as they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bleeding has stopped and I have put on a makeshift bandage involving some large dressings, duct tape and an old sock! The you tube link was very helpful. Many thanks for the advice! Vets will be visited tomorrow

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

That is great, Chris.Smile

I am very glad that the bleeding stopped and you were able to bandage her foot using the guide I linked to (sometimes videos are worth eve more words the pictures:)). Just make sure that if you are using duct tape, that it isn't too tight at the top (since duct tape doesn't have the stretchiness that the vet wrap that was used in the video to cover the bandaging material). As long as you can fit two fingers underneath, it will likely be just fine. Otherwise just keep an eye and do consider withholding food after dinner tonight (water can stay down) until after she is seen. That way, if she has an empty stomach when she sees the vet they can admit her immediately if the cut does need stitching.

All the best,

Dr. B.