Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Cat has returned home after having fight with another cat.

Customer Question

Cat has returned home after having fight with another cat. Cat is limping/dragging leg. Has remained hidden for 24 hours and growls when approached.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets didn't want to give you a "bad news" answer but you do deserve the courtesy of a response. You need to find a way to gather Jo up and bring her to a vet. Bite wounds will abscess quickly and unless antibiotics are administered promptly, you're going to end up with an unnecessary expense for surgical intervention of the abscess. If need be, I'll use a fish net to capture such a cat and place it in a large box that's immediately closed and taped shut. You can also throw a heavy blanket over such a cat and scoop it up and place the cat and blanket into the box. Alternatively, you might find a housecall vet who would bring a vet tech with him/her and that tech would be more likely to have the acumen to capture Jo.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.