Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my cat is 19 and lately his back legs has gone funny and keeps

my cat is 19 and lately his back legs has gone funny and keeps falling over
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Can you describ what you means his legs gone funny?
3- Is he falling over completely or just his back legs?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi hes been like that about 3 months when he walks he seems to loose his balance his back leg seems to walk on his tiptoes hes not in pain with it we just put it down to old age he does fall over completely

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, what you are describing is common in older cats and it is usually related to arthritis of the hips, spine or both. In addition, older patients will have lesser muscle mass making them weaker which predisposes them to falling with ease. I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian as there are systemic diseases that can contribute to the weakness like kidney or liver disease, hyperthyroidism, etc. In the meantime, begin to supplement with cosequin (glucosamine) long term. Glucosamine will help with arthritis by promoting the production of joint fluid. You can buy cosequin (glucosamine) over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose long term.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter