Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 9 month old staff has a smooth pink lump on his neck with

Customer Question

My 9 month old staff has a smooth pink lump on his neck with no fur covering it. When I first fould it hair was there and the lump scabby and sticky. My vetr treateed him with steroids and antibiotics and the scabs have cleared up leaving this 1" round pink soft smooth lump. My vet says he doesnt know what it is but wants to remove and send away for examination and it will cost £400!
Do you recognise what I have described as I do not have £400 and the pdsa wont see dogs under 1 year.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a photo of this "lump" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid I cant upload pictures to this laptop as the usb ports are broken, sorry!

I understand. Please take a look at this histiocytoma - a common and benign lump of the young dog and tell me if it looks anything like what Bruce has...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems smoother than that and not red but a pale pink, its very soft, but apart from that very similar. Will it go on its own?

Yes, histiocytomas can vary in appearance but they all reach a certain size and then crumble away within 6-12 weeks. A histiocytoma is relatively easy to diagnose. Bruce's vet can poke it with a needle and then examine the cells under the microscope or send the aspirate to his pathologist for a cytological (cell) review. I can't see biopsying much of anything on the skin of a 9 month old dog and I'm a big advocate of biopsying skin when I'm perplexed.

If you have financial constraints, "watchful waiting" would be appropriate. A dreadful skin cancer just isn't very likely in a 9 month old Staff. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that, it does look as if it has shrunk very slightly one side and perhaps a little flatter. I have been reading on the internet about vets taking a needle sample and wondered why he hadnt? I think he might be saving for his holiday at my expence?

Thank you again, I will give it a few weeks of watching and if any doubt go to another vet.

It sounds like it's already on its way to disappearing. Far be it from me to know why it wasn't aspirated. I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!!! I would appreciate that!

You're quite welcome. Speak to you soon.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.