Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog is 15 years of age and he his drinking a lot of water

Customer Question

my dog is 15 years of age and he his drinking a lot of water is that unusual he is eating ok and he sleeps a lot does not seem to be in any pain.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Polydipsia (increased thirst) at Bailey's age is worrisome for kidney and liver failure, diabetes mellitus (Bailey should also be polyphagic/increased hunger if he were diabetic), Cushing's disease (rare/polyphagia expected as well), urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, and the rarer hypercalcemia (increased calcium level in the blood), Addison's disease and diabetes insipidus.

Polydipsia is a danger sign and should prompt a thorough physical exam by Bailey's vet including diagnostics in the form of a senior/geriatric blood/urine panel. You should know within 24 hours why Bailey is polydipsic and how you might help him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.