Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

is a fish diet for a dog good enough

Customer Question

is a fish diet for a dog good enough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Unfortunately, a plain fish diet is not balanced and not appropriate for any dog, especially a young one. And I am sure you can appreciate that an unbalanced diet for any animal (even us) can lead to nutrient deficiencies that lead to health troubles. Furthermore, fish actually contains an enzyme that breaks down thiamine (vitamin B1) and if a dog's thiamine gets too low they can actually develop brain problems that will lead to weakness, collapse, paralysis, seizures and death.

With all this in mind, it is very important to have Rosie on a balanced diet. This could be a commercial diet that is legally required to have all the nutritents she needs or a balanced homemade diet. If you are keen to make a diet (even a fish based if not pure one), you can check out the free recipe generator for dog home diets at BalanceIt (HERE). Or if you want a vet nutritionist to design a diet just for Rosie's needs (for a wee fee) then you can check Pet Diets (HERE). And no matter which type of diet you go with, if she isn't on a commercial diet, do consider a dog appropriate multivitamin/mineral supplement to make sure you don't cause her any harm by not offering those trace nutrients she needs that her diet may not provide.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )